Friday, June 3, 2011

My Running Story

I've never wanted to blog before. I'm afraid that I won't have much to say. I'll start with my running story. I have loved to exercise all of my life. I figured out at a very early age that exercise made me feel good. I was in athletics, but I was never particularly good at any sport. I stayed in the program for three years (7th-9th grades) just to get the workout. I loved basketball and track...running snakes in the bleachers...shooting baskets with the team. I loved staying in shape. After I quit athletics, I still liked to work out to videos at home. Kathy Smith was my idol. But, it wasn't the same. I married young and had four kids. I went through a few health kicks here and there, but working out was not top priority during my young mommy years. When my baby was one year old, I decided it was time to change that. I started dieting and exercising and lost 30 pounds in 2000. The next four years were pretty good, but I did yo-yo a bit. After I had gained about 10 pounds back, I decided to start running. I was a regular exerciser, so it shouldn't have been that hard, haha! I couldn't run more than 1/2 mile in February of 2004. I found the couch to 5K program and within two months, I was running three miles without stopping. Since that time, I have run five marathons, and I don't know how many half-marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks. Running has been a lifesaver for me. It's an analogy to life in so many ways. Exercise is fascinating to me. I went back to school in 2006 and got my bachelor's degree in exercise science and fitness management in 2009. Now I'm back again pursuing my master's degree in dietetics. In about two years, I hope to be a registered dietitian. Running has definitely carried me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment