Friday, June 17, 2011

Seabrook Lucky Trails 2007

As much as I enjoyed my first marathon, I now know that I didn't fuel properly or recover properly. I started back slowly, which was good, but within a few weeks, I felt terrible and had no energy. I was working out too much and eating too little. I ran with a group of friends and could barely keep up. But, I wouldn't quit for anything--not even bronchitis...big mistake. A couple of friends and I had signed up for the Seabrook Lucky Trails half marathon on March 17, 2007. I was determined to do it no matter what. I got better before the race, but was still having some respiratory problems.
Race day arrived, and I went through with my plans. My husband and I made the two hour drive over that morning. The race starts at a park and runs on pavement for the first mile or so. Then it moves to a small gravelly trail. It's a double loop and ends in the park...very nice course. I figured out pretty quickly that I was not going to be able to keep up, so I told my friends to go on without me. It was a long 13.1 miles, but I finished. About 3/4 of a mile from the finish line, I happened upon a poor woman lying over in the ditch. I looked again and realized it was my friend! Medics were already there helping her, so I ran as fast as I could to the finish line to tell her husband. It was a warm day, and she got overheated. She actually has an allergic reaction to heat. So, that wasn't very fun for her, but we did all survive that day somehow. I have to say that the race directors were the best ever. They invited my friend to go back to the course two weeks later and finish the race. They even set up the finish line for her and ran with her from the point where she had fallen. Talk about going above and beyond the call of duty--I was very impressed!

My time was 2:20...not impressive, but I'll take it. I should not have been out there in the first place. I ended up with exercise induced asthma for several months and had to use an inhaler. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment