Friday, July 15, 2011

European Vacation: Summer 2010

In June 2010, my two oldest daughters and I had the opportunity to travel to Croatia to visit my sister who lived there. We had a fabulous time. For this post, I won't give a report of the entire trip. Instead, I want to include the cool runs that I was able to experience.

The first few days we stayed in Zagreb at my sisters house. I was able to run around the neighborhood there. I loved the nice wide sidewalks and all of the people that walked. Most of them were not walking for fitness. They were walking to work or walking their dogs, but it was still a nice change from the area where I live.

We took some road trips while we were there. On my birthday, we spent the entire day driving through the Croatian countryside, stopping at castles and exploring little villages along the way.                                                                                                                                                              
   
My birthday lunch in Motovun, Croatia
Motovun, Croatia
We passed through Slovenia so that I could run a 10K tek (race) that night. There were not very many participants, and I worried that I would be so far behind the others that I would get lost. The sweet girls at the registration table assured me that I would not be the slowest runner, and they would not let me get lost. At home, I am usually in the middle of the pack. Not so in this little village in Slovenia. I was pretty darn near the back of the pack. I think there were three runners behind me. But, they loved having me there. I was a novelty at the race, though I'm afraid I didn't represent American housemoms very  well. It was still an awesome experience.

Getting ready for the tek

Everyone in the village came out to cheer for the runners: "Bravo! Bravo!"

At the starting line.

The beautiful view on the run.
I had another notable run on this trip. About a week later, we were in Bled, Slovenia, one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. A run around Lake Bled is about four miles. There were plenty of other runners out there. I would call it a rave run for sure...a must do for any runners who get the chance. I love running on vacation. It is the best way to see the world.

Scenes from my run at beautiful Lake Bled:




No comments:

Post a Comment