Sunday, September 8, 2013

Soundtrack of my Life




I've been working on writing my life story. My goal is to finish it enough to post this week. Not finish it completely, of course. I hope that doesn't happen for a long, long time. I've been looking back through old "about me" assignments from school as I work on this project. Here is an interesting activity from a class I took a few years ago where we explored our strengths, learning style, and personality. It was one of the best classes I ever took, and I learned a lot about myself. For this assignment, I had to make a soundtrack of my life. It's kind of a preview of my life story, in a way. It isn't current. I did it in January 2010, which feels like a lifetime ago, and many more things have happened since then. I don't necessarily listen to all this music. In fact, I don't even know a few of these songs, but clips from the lyrics seem to fit.

1. Don’t Worry Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin                                                                                                                                                                   
           “Like good little children
            Don't worry, be happy.”   

   I consider myself to have had a happy and carefree childhood. Even though my father passed away when I was nine, I had strong family support, lots of love, and few worries.             



2. Me vs. the World, Halo Friendlies                        
            If you’re looking for that nice girl from the day before, don't bother she don't live here anymore, cause it's me against the world." 

 During my adolescence, I thought I was ready to venture out in the world.           
 


3. Choices, George Jones

            “There were voices that told me right from wrong. If I had listened, no, I wouldn't be here today."

I made choices at a very young age that would affect the rest of my life. I left home and got married and chose not to go to school or prepare myself for the future. 




4. Living on a Prayer, Bon Jovi

            “We've got to hold on ready or not, you live for the fight when that's all that you've got."                                                                                                     

We weren’t ready for marriage, and did not make the best choices during the first couple of years. I have no doubt we lived on prayer—especially my mother’s prayer.


5. In My Daughter’s Eyes, Martina McBride

            “She was sent to rescue me, I see who I wanna be, in my daughter's eyes.”

When our first daughter was born, we knew we had to turn our lives around. Each of our four daughters have changed my life and taught me many things.




6. Mr. Mom, Lonestar

            “Been crazy all day long and it's only Monday”



Life was pretty crazy when the kids were little. I stayed home while my husband went to school and later got a job at a refinery.




7. One More Day, Lonestar

            “I'd unplug the telephone and keep the T.V. off. I'd hold you every second, say a million I love you's.”

My mom and I were very close. I was sad to lose her in 1998.


8. Daddy’s Hands, Holly Dunn

            “There are things that I´ve forgotten, that I loved about the man, but I´ll always remember the love in Daddy´s hands.”

Even though I had a family of my own, I felt alone in the world without my parents.




9. Everybody Hurts, R.E.M.

            If you feel like letting go, (hold on), when you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on.”

At this point, I went through a time of depression and sadness. Several years of not taking care of myself had taken its toll. I still loved my family, but I knew that I could not neglect myself much longer.



10. Hero, Mariah Carey

            “There's a hero if you look inside your heart,
            you don't have to be afraid of what you are.”

I decided that it was time for me to look within myself for the courage to make changes. I started exercising, eating healthy, and learning how to manage stress. 




11. New Attitude, Patti LaBelle

            “I tidied up my point of view
            I got a new attitude”

I gained confidence as I became a healthier and happier person. I began to feel that I was capable of reaching my goals.



12. I Ran (So Far Away), Flock of Seagulls

            “And I ran.
            I ran so far away.
            I just ran.”

I started running for fitness and found that it was my passion. I ran 5Ks, then 10Ks, then marathons. Running is my time alone to sort through problems or questions on my mind. I hope to continue running for the rest of my life. 




13. You’ve Gotta Want It, Roberta Gold

            “You’ve gotta want it from the bottom of your heart, you’ve got to give it everything you’ve got.”

When my youngest daughter started Kindergarten, I decided it was time to do what I had always dreamed of: get a college degree. I dove right in and finished in 3 ½ years with a B.S. degree in exercise science and fitness management.  It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, but I found out that when I put my heart into reaching my goals, I can do anything. 




14. You’re Gonna Miss This, Trace Adkins

            “You're gonna miss this
            You're gonna want this back
            You're gonna wish these days                                                                                                                      hadn't gone by so fast”



Now I find myself in a house full of teenage girls who will soon be grown and on their own.  My oldest will begin college next year. I look back over the years and wonder where the time has gone. I miss the days when my daughters were young, but I am proud of the young women that they are turning out to be. (This needs to be updated.)




15. You’re Still the One, Shania Twain

            “They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
            But just look at us holding on
            We're still together still going strong”



My husband and I have been through a lot together. The odds were against us when we started our family, but we beat the odds. I love him more than ever and am so thankful for the patience and support he gives me every step of the way. (This one really is our song. At least, I say it is, and John tolerates it.)




16. Every Day is a Winding Road, Sheryl Crow

            “Every day is a winding road
            I get a little bit closer
            Every day is a faded sign
            I get a little bit closer to feeling fine."



As I look back over my life so far, I see that it has been a winding road. It hasn’t always been easy. There have been many twists and turns, but I keep moving forward and getting better as I go. 

 

                             

1 comment: