Monday, September 30, 2013

What Does Prayer Mean to Me?

Yesterday at church, the question was asked, "What does prayer mean to you?" There were many things I could have said, but I knew that my thoughts were not gathered well enough for more than a ramble, so I sat quietly. I always have answers to questions a day or two after they are asked. So, I'll share my answer here.

Every day, I put my best foot forward. I try to make myself feel good by doing what is right. Then I try to make myself feel good by justifying the things I do that might not be right. I think we all have to pretend a bit. Not that we're all fake, but to a degree we all have to fake it. I think it was Huckleberry Finn who said, "You can't pray a lie." That's what prayer means to me. When I kneel in prayer, all pretense is set aside and I have to get real. I can do that, because I know that my Heavenly Father loves me anyway. Prayer is a time when I can say in all honesty, "This is who I am. This is what I've been doing. Please accept my devotion and help me continue doing the things I'm doing right. Please help me to change the things I am doing wrong or could be doing better. Please help me to know Thy will and plan for me, and then help me to follow it." It sounds simple, but at times it is a very painful process. I'm not a perfect pray-er. But, when I put myself in the right place, both physically and spiritually, prayer is what keeps me grounded and aware of who I am and the direction in which I'm headed.

"And since he bids me seek his face,
Believe his word, and trust his grace,
I'll cast on him my ev'ry care
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment